Sicilian Pizza Recipe
If you are a lover of Pizza then this recipe is for you. Its easy to follow. Cheap to make and does not sit heavy after eating.
Yield: 4 people
Ingredients for Dough
- 1 kg Four (Caputo Manitoba Oro)
- 20 gm Salt
- 4 gm Yeast (dry)
- 30 ml olive oil
- 600 to 800 ml Cold Water
Ingredients For Topping
- 1 tin Chopped Tomato - Mutti Brand
- 5 balls Mortadella Cheese (soft and fresh balls)
- Rolling Out Pizza
Step 1: Preparation of Dough
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl
- Add salt to flour
- Add yeast to this mixture
- Add water. The water must be approximately 55% of the total mass. Mix the dough into a fairly soft dough. This is not a stiff dough and in the rolling process below we will use our hands to spread it on the baking try instead of a rolling pin.
- Once dough is nice and soft and not sticky, add the olive oil and knead and stretch the dough for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Break the dough into 3 or 4 parts and allow to rest. This will activate the yeast, helps in fermentation as well as strengthen the gluten. Time to rest will depend on the weather. Fairly warm weather you can rest for an hour to 2 hours. In colder climates allow a few hours or over night.
- Each part will be a pizza soon.
Step 2: Rolling out Pizza
- Once dough is ready in 2 to 4 hours take one part out of the bowl and place it on a table top that has been oiled. Use your hands to spread the dough out fairly thin.
- Pick up this flatten dough and spread it out on a baking pan that has a non-stick paper on it.
- Next take your tomato spread you have prepare and spread it over the dough
- In this case we have a vegetarian pizza, so we take our mortadella cheese roundels and spread evenly around the pizza.
- Sprinkle basil leaves or any other hers or topping.
Step 3: Preparation of Filling
- Open tin of chopped tomatoes - you can add a bit of rock salt and crushed black peppercorns to this.
- Cut each round of cheese in half. If small (an inch in size) use as whole. This will melt while baking
Step 4: Baking
- Heat conventional oven to 220 degree centigrade
- Once oven is hot place pizza in oven for 20 to 30 minutes
How to Serve
- Take pizza out of oven in 20 to 30 minutes
- Dribble olive oil over pizza
- Cut into slices and serve to your guest
We run a Air B & B in Brisbane and Daniele stayed with us a few weeks while relocating from Sicily to Brisbane. During his 5 weeks in August 2022 with us we shared a lot about the foods we love. When it came to Daniele’s turn he wanted to share what pizza and pasta dishes really were.
I thought I had tasted pizza. However, after Daniele made his pizza I was hooked.
This recipe I share here is just worth trying. You won’t be disappointed.
Leave a Reply