Potato & Mushroom Curry
A tasty potato mushroom curry. Its a dry dish and can be eat with roti or parathas. Great as a side dish accompaning other Indian dishes. Its a fast dish and cheap to make
- cooking pot
- Chopping board
- Cooking spoon
- 300 gm Diced potatoes
- 8 pieces Mushroom diced
- 1/2 Onion large diced
- 1/2 inch Ginger thinly sliced
- 5 cloves Garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 tspn Black Mustard seed
- 1/2 tspn Cumin Seed
- 1/4 tspn Chili powder
- 1/4 tspn Black pepper powder
- 1/4 tspn turmeric power
- 1 sprig Fresh curry leaves whole
- 1 sprig Fresh corainader chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Olive oil to fry spices
- Parboil the diced potatoes. I like to add a bit of salt and turmeric to the water while boiling my vegetables. This allows for the seasoning to be absorbed and the flavor of the spice to be absorbed by the vegetable. Also by par boiling vegetables first we can have vegetables stay whole during the cooking process. As each vegetable cooks at a different rate we may have some vegetables too mashy while others are still raw.
- Take a large pot and heat oil. Add the whole spices of mustard and cumin seed. Stir well for 30 seconds. Add the garlic, ginger and onion to thsi mix and stir for 1 minute. Then add the black pepper power, chili flakes and turmeric power and stir.
- Add the potatoes and diced mushrooms. Add the corriander and curry leaves. Add salt for taste. Stir well. Sprinkle some water and cover for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Take off stove and serve
Great dish to be served with Indian Bread or rice.