Winter is just setting into Brisbane and cauliflowers are coming into season.
At the local markets in Kelvin Grove yesterday and purchased some fresh cauliflower from our favorite green grocer Luke.
Now this particular vegetable can be cooked in a number of ways such as in pokoras (deep fried fritters done in a spicy chic pea batter., a dry side dish accompanying other dishes or as a curry. I made this semi dry and it turned out pretty good. Thought I share it here with you guys so you could try it out soon too.
Leave me a comment after you tried it so I can get some feedback and improve.
Cauliflower & Red Capsicum Curry
- Gather your vegetables and start the process of cutting each vegetable
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Take a small pot fill with water bring to boil. Add a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Add the cauliflower to boiling water for 5 minutes. Par boil and drain.
- Take half the red capsicum and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Take half a large red onion and cut in half and then cut in chunky pieces
- Take two small carrots (enough to fill a cup) and dice into 1 cm dices
- Put aside 1 cup of green peas
- Half an inch of ginger (about a teaspoon size) slice thinly and then make thin match sticks (julienne)
- Next 2 small cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 6 leaves of curry leaves
- One green chili thinly sliced
- In a large pan add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, Heat gently
- To the heated oil add 1 1/2 teaspoon of black mustard seed. Allow to crackle.
- Next add the sliced garlic and ginger and stir gently for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Next add the chopped chunks of red onion and capsicum, green chili and curry leaves. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric power and 1/2 teaspoon of Kashmiri red chili power. stir.
- Add 3 teaspoon of tomato paste, thinly down with water and stir into mixture.
- Next add the chopped carrots and lower the heat and allow to simmer for 8 minutes
- Now add the parboiled cauliflower and a half cut of green peas to this curry sauce you have simmering.
- Cook for another 5 minutes on gentle heat until vegetables are all cooked. Do not over cook vegetables.
- Taste of salt. Add green coriander and serve with Basmati rice and paratha bread.