This is one of my all time favorite Indian dishes. Best eaten with Bathura bread.
Chole Curry (Aloo Chole)
A tasty vegetarian Indian curry made with chicpeas. This can be cooked with potato and eaten with Bathiras or parathas. Its a dish from North India and from the Punjab.
- cooking pot
- chopping boards
- 300 gm Chic peas pre soak the night before
- 100 gm Potatoes cut into small pieces, just a bit bigger than than the chic pea size
- 1/2 inch Ginger (15 gm) thinly sliced
- 1 large Tomatoes chopped
- 2 Fresh Green Chili thinly sliced
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic (30 gm) thinly sliced
- 1 sprig Fresh Coriander (1 large Tabspn) chopped
- 3 tspn Chole Masala buy from Indian grocery store
- 1 tspn Garam Masala buy from Indian Grocery store
- Soak the chic peas the night before. I prefer using dry chic peas instead of the canned ones. Its more tasty.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes and par boil in water with some turmeric and salt.
- Prepare all the herbs and spices as per the ingredient list above
- Take a large pot and heat oil. Add the fresh garlic, ginger, green chili and onion and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Next add the Chole Masala to this and stir, Add a bit of water to prevent the spices from burning. Next add the tomatoes. Then add the chic pea and potatoes
- Water a bit of water and allow to cook. You may add some tinned diced tomato if you dont have fresh tomatoes. Cover the pot and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add garam masala, green corriander, check for salt. Stir well and serve.