Chicken Spinach Curry
A Tasty dish with chicken and spinach puree.
Yield: 8 people
- 3 chicken breast cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 bunches English spinach roughly chopped
- 1 red onion chopped into small diced
- 1 inch ginger chopped into small dices
- 3 garlic cloves chopped. I also kept the skins and washed these - to fry with spices. I find most of the flavor of the garlic is in the skins.
- 6 cardamon pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 leaves curry leaves
- 1 sprig mint chopped
- 3 tpsn Chicken masala powder
- 2 tpsn turmeric powder
- 1 tpsn pepper power
- 2 tabsp tomato puree
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup oil to fry spices
Prepare and Marinate Chicken
- Take the cubed chicken in a bowl and add the following ingredients: 2 teaspoons of chicken masala powder. 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 chopped green chili, salt and mix well. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Next take a pot and add 1/4 oil in the pan. heat oil gently and add the cardamon pods, bay leaf, curry leaf to this. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Take off heat and place in separate bowl.
- Use the above pot to make the curry sauce. Do not wash
Cook The Curry Sauce
- In the chicken pot add some oil. heat gently without burning
- add the ginger and garlic (skins too) and fry, next add the chopped onions. fry for 3 to 5 minutes
- Next 2 teaspoons of chicken masala, 1 teaspoon of turmeric and fry the mixture. Add some water to stop mixture from burning.
- In a separate pot heat water and blanch the English spinach. Drain, cool and puree. This will be added in next step to the chicken.
- Next add the half cooked chicken and the spinach puree and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree.. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 12 minutes
Finish Chicken Curry
- Add the chopped coriander and salt for seasoning
This dish came out better than I expected it to. It is a tasty dish made with English spinach puree.