Potato & Carrot Parathas
If you have left over vegetables in the frig or a dry vegetable curry I have a great idea how to turn this into an interesting meal. Lets create stuffed Parathas with Spicy Vege today. This is a dish of potatoes, carrots and peas, fan fried with spices and herbs and stuffed into an unleavened bread called Parathas.
- Frying Pan
- Rolling Pin
- cooking pot
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 2 large potato dice and parboil with carrots below with salt and turmeric
- 2 medium carrots dice carrots, par cook
- 1/2 cup green peas I use frozen peas
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 sprig fennel chop fennel
- 1 whole green chilli chop chili (you may add more if you wish)
- 1/2 tspn black pepper powder
- 1 tspn turmeric powder
- 1/4 tspn chili flakes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tspn salt for seasoning
How To Cook The Vegetables
- Take a pan and add oil. Then add onion and garlic once oil is hot.
- Add spices and herbs and stir for a minute
- Next add the 3 vegetables and stir for 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture is fairly dry. We don't want the filling to be runny as it will make a mess when you try rolling out the parathas in next few minutes.
- Add salt for seasoning
- Keep aside to cool
How to Make The Paratha Dough
- Take a large mixing bowl, add flour and 1.5 teaspoon of salt. Mix well
- Next add approximately 2 cups of cold water and knead the flour into a stiff dough. Not too stiff.
- Slowly add oil to the dough and knead the oil into the dough. Approximately 1/2 cup oil to 5 cups of flour.
- Knead the dough till its soft and pliable.
- Leave to rest under damp cloth for 30 minutes
How To Stuff The Parathas
- Divide the rested dough into 8 even balls
- Spread the dough in your palm of your hand, approximately 3 inches in diameter and then place approximately 1 Tablesppon of vegetable mixture into the center of this flattened circle of dough. Bring the ends together and seal the ball now.
- Rest these filed balls of dough for anotehr 10 minutes. If its a hot day cover under damp cloth to prevent the dough from drying out.
How To Cook The Parathas
- Take one ball of stuffed dough. Gently roll this ball out on a chopping board to the size of a side plate. About 6 inces wide.PS: Both the dough and the vegetable mix are the same softness. This will allow the two moving parts to move together and you will not see any mixture bursting out of the dough while you roll it out. If the dough is too hard or the mixture is too runny you will have mixture escaping out of the parathas as you roll them out.Use flour to help you roll the parathas out. If you don't do this the parathas will stick to the board.
- Next take a frying pan and heat on stove. Once hot add a tspn of oil to the fan. Then add the paratha to the pan. Cook on one side for 1 minute. Flip it over and baste the pre half cooked side exposed with olive oil. flip the paratha over again. Repeat the process for the other side.
- Gently fry the paraths until they are golden brown in color. Serve with your main meals. In the photo I have served it as a snack with okra curry.You will get 2 parathas per person with 5 cups of flour.